Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Mordred's Curse

Mordred's CurseMordred's Curse by Ian McDowell

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I was really into King Arthur as a kid and when I saw this book and it's sequel in the Science Fiction Book Club's flyer one day years later, I decided to give it a chance. King Arthur's story from Mordred's point of view? Sounded interesting.



Interesting was an understatement. The story is told by Mordred and he's bitter as hell about Arthur, his supposed father Lot, and has a strange relationship with his mother. Launcelot is nowhere in this book or its sequel. The things Launcelot is known for, ie romancing Guinevere right under King Arthur's nose, is done by Mordred. And Merlin, don't get me started. He's a half-demon and a pedophile.



The story is engaging, dealing with Mordred growing up on Orkney, eventually joining King Arthur and falling for Guinevere.



If you're looking for a new take on King Arthur, look no further. Plus, the second book in the series, Merlin's Gift, has my favorite opening line of any fantasy book ever.









View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment