Monday, June 11, 2012

60 Hikes within 60 Miles: St. Louis

60 Hikes within 60 Miles: St. Louis, 2nd: Including St. Peters, Washington, and Sullivan (60 Hikes - Menasha Ridge)60 Hikes within 60 Miles: St. Louis, 2nd: Including St. Peters, Washington, and Sullivan by Steve Henry
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book is what the title indicates: 60 hikes within 60 miles of St. Louis.

I bought this a few years ago when the girl I had just started seeing said she was into hiking. Turns out she wasn't so I've only done 10-12 of them to date.

The Good: This book is packed with information, from maps to descriptions to locations. I never would have found out about such cool places as the Castor River Shut-ins or the Little Grand Canyon without it.

The Not So Good: Some of the information isn't all that accurate. For one thing, the difficulty ratings seem off. For another, some of the directions are a little skewed. For example, if the location for the Castor River Shut-Ins was a little clearer, I could have shaved twenty minutes off my drive time.

The Thrilling Conclusion: If you live in the St. Louis area, this guide is a pretty good choice. All of the parks are in fairly accessible, if out of the way, locations. I would have liked more pictures and better directions but it's a great value for the money.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment