Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Review: Charlie the Choo-Choo: From the world of The Dark Tower

Charlie the Choo-Choo: From the world of The Dark Tower Charlie the Choo-Choo: From the world of The Dark Tower by Beryl Evans
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Charlie the Choo-Choo has a secret. He can talk! But what will happen to Charlie and Engineer Bob once Charlie is replaced by a diesel locomotive?

Straight from the pages of The Waste Lands comes Charlie the Choo-Choo, the book within a book inspired by Blaine the Mono.

The tale reminds me a lot of Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel. Charlie and Engineer Bob are great until they are heartlessly replaced but still get one more shot at glory when the chips are down.

The artwork is suitably creepy. Charlie looks like he'd gladly gnaw the heads off of any one riding him. Stephen King writes in a style that is reminiscent of children's books, although he can't stop himself from making it a little on the wordy side.

I was planning on giving this to my nephews by I may just keep it for myself, on the shelf right next to my Dark Tower books. Four out of five stars.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Nice. I pre-ordered a copy but haven't actually been to the store to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete