Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Godborn

The Godborn (The Sundering, #2)The Godborn by Paul S. Kemp
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Raised in an abbey, Erevis Cale's son Vasen lives a life of peace despite being born of shadow, until he gets caught in the schemes of demons and devils. Can Vasen and his new friend Orsin stop the machinations of Mephistopheles and prevent the world from being destroyed?

I got this courtesy of NetGalley and Wizards of the Coast.

When I got the first two books of The Sundering from Netgalley, I assumed they were closely linked. They are not. They both are set in the Forgotten Realms around the same time period but that's about as far as it goes.

The Godborn is the tale of several beings that are the chosen of various gods, some trying to prevent the Cycle of Night, others trying to stop it. Vasen Cale, son of the presumed deceased Erevis Cale, was whisked forward in time 70 years while still in the womb in order to hide him from his father's enemies. He lives a life of peace in an abbey until trouble comes knocking.

I was not a tremendous fan of this book, especially compared with The Companions. First of all, the Companions was accessible to me, a Forgotten Realms noob, whereas this one had me in the dark a lot of the time. None of the characters were very likeable or interesting and a lot of the book seemed like filler between battle scenes.

The thing that stopped me from giving this a one was Paul S. Kemp's writing. I'd like to read something of his not set in the Forgotten Realms and featuring likeable characters. Also, the ending was pretty good, from what I understood of it.

The Godborn is a hard 2. I'm not sure if I'm going to read the final book in The Sundering series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment