Monday, July 25, 2011

It Came From Below the Belt!

It Came from Below the BeltIt Came from Below the Belt by Bradley Sands

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Grover Goldstein is swallowed by a giraffe and winds up in the future. Grover is dragooned into returning to high school and helping The Unnameable become President of Moonsylvania in exchange for access to Nazi time travel technology that will send him back to his own time. I feel like I'm forgetting something.... Oh, Yeah. The Unnameable is Grover Goldstein's future self's severed penis.

It's not very often that I have trouble describing a book I've just finished. Phrases like "Absurdist romp" and "a parade of puns and wordplay" come to mind. "More absurdist humor than four episodes of Monty Python's Flying Circus, including the Dead Parrot Sketch" is another.

It Came from Below the Belt is all about the journey and what a journey it was. Grover Goldstein experiences high school a second time and is only marginally more successful. The story takes a step back in favor of wordplay, outrageous situations, pop culture references, and the craziest humor you'll ever experience. If absurdist humor is your bag, let Bradley Sands be your bagman.

Seriously, how many books have you read featuring a talking penis running for president? No more than four or five, I'd wager. I guarantee this is the best "talking penis running for president" book you'll read this month.

That's about all I have to say. Crazy stuff, talking penis for president, it's out of print but worth selling your kidney for, etc.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment