Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Crawl

CRAWLCRAWL by Edward Lorn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A couple whose marriage is in a state of crisis gets into a horrible car cash and Juliet winds up nailed to a post in the woods. She manages to get free but has to crawl for her life from the thing roaming the woods...

I'm going to take a detour before I get into the meat of the review. Most of us have been spammed by authors, an approach that never works. I'm much more likely to become interested in a writer's work if they also display their love of reading. When Edward Lorn put out the call to read this ARC on Booklikes, I jumped at the chance since he's demonstrated he's a writer that still loves to read. I was not disappointed.

You know that when the horrific car accident is just part of the setup in a horror story, you're on to something good. Crawl is a tale of desperation and survival, both of a couple's dying marriage and a woman trying to get away from a supernatural horror on a pair of shredded feet.

Since it's a novelette, that's all I'm going to divulge about the plot. Edward Lorn's writing is polished and chilling, like Robert McCammon or a young Stephen King. Juliet was a great character and her struggles were powerful, both with forgiving her husband and trying not to be torn apart. My feet stung in sympathy for her.

I can't help but think that, for me, the best thing about testing the waters over at Booklikes was that it lead to me discovering Edward Lorn. Four out of five stars.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I like the sounds of this - simple, creepy, and intense. I may have to check it out myself.

    ReplyDelete