Monday, January 6, 2014

Unicorn Battle Squad

Unicorn Battle SquadUnicorn Battle Squad by Kirsten Alene
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

In a city of skyscrapers and bureaucrats, a young clerk named Carl finds a unicorn named Yuri and is soon dragged into the world of Unicorn Riders. Can Carl find out what really happened to his father before the same thing happens to him?

A wise man in the comment thread of this book said that with such an awesome title, the resulting book cannot hope to measure up. Sadly, he was right. On paper, it should be something I'd be all over. High weirdness level, bad-ass cyborg unicorns, dystopian setting.

Too bad it was kind of boring and felt uninspired. It's a slim book and very little happened before the 75 page mark and what happened wasn't terribly interesting. Instead of focusing on what I was reading, I continually found myself thinking of what else I could be reading.

There were some interesting bits, like the Unicorn Rider concept and the sword selection. However, I thought Kirsten Alene's previous book, Love in the Time of Dinosaurs, was more interesting and focused. Carl was just too passive for me to care what befell him. Not when I have a lot of other books lying around.

2 stars, sad to say.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment