Monday, April 16, 2018

Review: Fury from the Tomb: The Institute for Singular Antiquities Book I

Fury from the Tomb: The Institute for Singular Antiquities Book I Fury from the Tomb: The Institute for Singular Antiquities Book I by S A Sidor
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Romulus Hardy, Egyptologist, heads to Egypt to go a-digging and unearths a sarcophagus and six caskets. Upon getting them to America, the mummies are stolen by ghouls and hauled off to Mexico. Will Rom ever find his mummies?

This was a Netgalley find, chosen by my love of Indiana Jones and similar tales.

Okay, I didn't technically finish reading this book but I'm finished for all intents and purposes. I'm not going to tear into the book. I'll just say what I liked and why the book didn't work for me and we can all move on with our lives, hopefully without shots fired.

The book had potential that just wouldn't quit. There's tomb crawling, mummies, vampires, a giant worm or two, gunslinging, and all sorts of other makings for a grand adventure.

My big problem with the book is that it's written in the first person. In and of itself, that's fine, and the writing was good in a technical sense. However... to put it gently, imagine how you would feel about Star Wars if C3PO was narrating it? The narrator is an Egyptologist in the late 19th century who manages to suck the excitement out of every situation with his overwrought vocabulary. While I'm sure his wordiness has some degree of authenticity, that does not a good story make. Every time I picked the book back up, I sighed, thinking "Will this windbag just get on with it?"

Now, if you enjoy this book, more power to you. It was not my particular cup of tea at this time. Two out of five stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment