Monday, June 27, 2011

Doorways in the Sand

Doorways in the SandDoorways in the Sand by Roger Zelazny

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Where do I start?



Fred Cassidy is a college student and has been for the past 17 years due to a loophole in his late uncle's will. Fred is a compulsive climber and a thorn in the side of the administration who would like nothing more than for him to graduate so they can get on with their lives. Long story short, an alien artifact goes missing and a lot of people think Fred has it. The rest of the book is the quest to find the star stone and stay alive. Thankfully, Fred has help in the form of a talking wombat and a talking kangaroo...

The plot is more complicated than I'm letting on but I don't want to give too much away. The plot isn't what drew me to the book, though. The grabber for me was the style that Zelazny chose to tell the story. Each chapter beings with the hero in a situation unrelated to where the previous chapter left off. Once the scene is established, then he backtracks and fills in the blanks. Other than that, what can I say? It's a Zelanzy story.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment