Monday, February 10, 2014

I Am The New God

I Am the New GodI Am the New God by Nicole Cushing
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When Gregory Bryce starts receiving letters in the mail proclaiming that he will soon be a god, he has very little trouble believing them...

I got this from the fine folks at DarkFuse via Netgalley.

So what happens when one religious fanatic starts sending an unhinged college boy letters? Nothing good, that's what! I am the New God is a disturbing tale of delusion, mutilation, and murder. Gregory Bryce goes off his meds and goes on a one way ride to crazy town, with the mysterious hierophant at the wheel. Horror ensues.

Nicole Cushing's prose has come a long way since the last book of hers I read, How to Eat Fried Furries. Bryce's cold logic as he descends further and further into the catacombs of madness was even more chilling than the horrible things he did, and yet I still felt a little sorry for him.

Since it's a novella, there's not a lot else I can say about the plot without revealing all the good bits. There's a fair amount of gore but I'd say the most horrifying part is the psychological aspect and the fact that it could all really happen. 3.5 out of 5 stars.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment