Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Doctor Who: Keeping up with the Joneses

Doctor Who: Keeping Up with the Joneses (Time Trips)Doctor Who: Keeping Up with the Joneses by Nick Harkaway
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When the TARDIS strikes a temporal mine, The Doctor finds himself in Jonestown, Wales, and surrounded by familiar-seeming people. But he never left the TARDIS, did he? And can the Doctor undo whatever damage to the TARDIS the temporal mine has done? Of course! He's the Doctor...

I got this from Netgalley.

As I said in the teaser, the TARDIS hit a leftover weapon from the Time War and chaos ensues. In this outing, the Tenth Doctor has to suss out what's going on and save the day, as per usual.

Nick Haraway crafts an entertaining little Time Trip in Keeping Up with the Joneses. The Tenth Doctor is written in fine form and the mystery of Jonestown is well done. Without spoiling too much, it reminds me of one of the holodeck-centric episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation. It felt very much like a Doctor Who episode, complete with me imagining the "sorting stuff out" music playing near the end.

One minor disappointment is that I expected Marth Jones to be in it since the word Jones is in the title. Other than that, no gripes. I was entertained for the hour and a half it took me to read it.
These Time Trips are nice little nuggets of Whovian entertainment. While they aren't awesome, they're a lot of fun. Three out of five stars.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment