Monday, February 24, 2014

Morningside Fall

Morningside FallMorningside Fall by Jay Posey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Wren's term as Governor of Morningside is short-lived when it becomes apparent he's been targeted by people within the Council. With his mother and a group of trusted allies, he flees the city. But who is working against him and why are the Weir massing in greater numbers?

I got this from Angry Robot via Netgalley.

The Weir threat escalates in the second entry in the Duskwalker series. Wren is struggling to grow into his role as boy governor of Morningside and the influx of people into Morningside, both the dwellers outside the walls and the Awakened, the former Weir, are making the rest of the population uneasy. Sound pretty good? Well...

Okay, here's the deal. I loved Three, the first book in this series. However, I didn't love this book. I felt like it very much suffers from "Second book in the Trilogy" syndrome. There's a lot of setup toward bigger things down the road but mostly there's a lot of running through the wastelands shooting at Weir. There is no new character to take Three's lead role so we get a lot of interchangeable warrior types acting as Wren's bodyguards and with no lynchpin character driving thing forward, my attention waned quite a bit. If it weren't for the last 20% of the book, I probably would have given it a 2.

The last 20% made up for a lot of my distaste for the rest of the book. A lot of stuff happens. Wren figures out how to stop the Weir, the mastermind is revealed, and a battle of monstrous proportions happens. The revelation of who the blindfolded man was was very satisfying. The third book is going to be an asskicker of Muhammed Ali proportions.

Morningside Fall is worth a read but I don't think it holds up very well when compared to Three. I do plan on sticking with the series, though. Three out of five stars.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I was worried about how the absence of Three would affect the novel. It's always a risk to kick off a series with such a strong protagonist, only to kill him off - it's what made the Mistborn saga so disappointing for me.

    I'll still give this a read, but forewarned is forearmed, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was disappointing but still good. It took me two days to read Three but a week to read this one. I have high hopes for the third book, though.

    ReplyDelete