Thursday, August 23, 2012

Batman: Hush

Batman: HushBatman: Hush by Jeph Loeb
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

An unknown enemy is trying to destroy Batman at the same time he enters into a relationship with Catwoman. But who knows all of Batman's secrets?

I've been hearing about Hush since it was coming out in monthly format and finally decided to give it a chance. It was totally worth it.

Honestly, I was skeptical at first. While I liked Jeph Loeb's work on Batman: The Long Halloween, I felt a little padded. As for Jim Lee, I was wondering if he still had that old magic. I was not disappointed.

Hush pits Batman against many of his foes, including a new one, Hush. Poison Ivy, Scarecrow, Joker, Harley Quinn, Croc, and others all make appearances. Batman's relationship with Catwoman is explored, as are his relationships with other members of his supporting cast. Jim Lee's art has come along since his days as the flavor of the month artist that made his mark on X-Men before helping form image.

I do have a few gripes, however. It was pretty obvious who would turn out to be Hush. Tommy Elliot was never mentioned before but suddenly Bruce remembers him as his best friend during his childhood. Not much detective work required from the reader. I was pleased that it turned out to be more complicated than that, what with Riddler and the Lazarus Pit and all. It did lead to Jason Todd being resurrected, something I'm still not that thrilled about.

Hush is the best Batman book not written by Scott Snyder that I've read in a long time. It's not earth shattering but is highly recommended.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment