Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Damnation Alley

Damnation AlleyDamnation Alley by Roger Zelazny
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Damnation Alley is about a biker named Hell Tanner who has to take some plague serum from LA to Boston, travelling a route called Damnation Alley across the nuclear wasteland that is the United States in a car that might as well be a tank. Along the way he encounters such mutants as giant Gila Monsters, spiders, bats, butterflies, and snakes.

Hell Tanner should be regarded as Snake Plissken's ancestor of sorts. Every time he had dialogue I kept hearing Kurt Russell's voice. The writing is a little cheesy but it fits with the story. Overall it was enjoyable but nothing fantastic. I'm tempted to track down the movie but there are pictures from it in the middle of the book and they look nothing like I pictured. Jan Michael Vincent was way too pretty to play Hell Tanner.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Something tells me I've seen the movie but I can't remember anything about it as hard as I try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was Damnation Alley ever released on DVD? All I know about it is the Hell Tanner character got split into Jan Michael Vincent and George Peppard and there was a fight with a giant scorpion.

    ReplyDelete